"If we’re doing something wrong 20,000 to 25,000 times a day, it can really wear our bodies down."
James Nestor’s new book "Breath" explores the million-year-long history of how the human species has lost the ability to breathe properly and why we’re suffering from a laundry list of maladies—snoring, sleep apnea, asthma, autoimmune disease, allergies...and how this affects not just our overall health but also our performance in the gym and on the field.
In this podcast, Nestor explains how taking control of your breathing lets you take control of many other functions of your body. He reveals:
- The benefits of obligate nasal breathing
- Why mouth breathing is injurious to health
- The correct oral posture for optimal breathing and sleeping
- How wearing a mask impacts oxygen and carbon dioxide levels, and why this can be beneficial
- Why you should eat plenty of raw, whole foods that require more chewing
- How breathing less can help you burn more fat, increase circulation and improve performance